Saturday, March 14, 2009

Giving up the PC for a Mac

Like many PC users out there, I've constantly heard about the many virtues of the Mac OS. How they preach and worship this object they call the Mac. The dedication and loyalty users have for this 'Apple' brand, much like a religion, a cult. Like many of you, I've tinkered around with one here and there, but I have yet to live, breathe, eat, sleep or dream a Mac.

Seeing more and more people switching to a Mac, I grew curious and decided to take the plunge and get one of my own. Say hello to my very first Mac, the new 15-inch MacBook Pro...


I really like the sleek, minimalist look. It's design is simple and clean. The keyboard is backlit and is very comfortable.




Just in case I encounter any hiccups, I've installed Windows XP via Boot Camp on it. Works like a charm.




Having only used it for 24 hours, it going to take a little time for me to familiarize myself with the UI. I guess I can live with the single button on the track pad or mouse and all the finger gesturing you get to do on it. I realized that they don't have a maximize window function which can be annoying. Anyway, it's still too soon to make any judgments but so far, I think I won't have a problem getting use to this. It's UI is pretty simple and straight to the point. I can see why both my parents made the jump. It's less complicated and everything is kept simple.

My Asus G1s is such a chunky, ugly looking thing next to the Macbook Pro. I will not be retiring it but will be putting it to the sidelines for now. The G1S is still a fantastic machine but as it stands, it's cluttered with files, junk applications and is really in a mess. Will have to back up my data and do a clean OS install soon.

4 comments ¨¨¨¨¨:

AZT said...

*thumbs up*

me too have yet to experience eat/sleep/drink MACs. its still in shipment on the way should be arriving sometime next week!

cant wait. :D

//first dSLR addictions, now this >_<

Leonard Foong said...

AZT,
Cheers! Which one did you get? I wanted the 17" one but couldn't justify spending so much for it. Settled for the 15" mid spec one, and it still cost an arm and a leg. *laughs*

I have yet to get a DSLR. Maybe next time. =)

AZT said...

i have to agree, it does cost an arm and a leg thats y i just opted for the macbook white. but then again i customised it with a bump to 4gb ram and a slight bump of hdd to 160gb thts y i have to wait for it to reach.

so the specs is better than the 13.3" unibody mac but still spend less $$$ than tht. the only difference is the shell, polycarbonated and the aluminium shell

^^

Leonard Foong said...

AZT,
The white one is nice. My mom has it. Same spec as the base model Aluminum one. My dad has the 2.4 version. He too upgraded it to match the base model MacBook Pro. =)

Blog Archive