Thursday, October 6, 2011

Project "Kermit": limping, one ball...

So, originally, I was set on lowering the car to give it a more aggressive stance. I had managed to find a good deal of some Hamann lowering springs...




Unfortunately, the front didn't fit! The rear wasn't a problem but the front needed the mounts that should have came with it.
So, for a short time, while I was trying to figure out if it was worth going through the trouble to get it to fit, I was driving around with just the rears that was lowered. This turned out to be a bad, bad idea...

Because the dampers were already fairly old, they gave way from the extra load from the lowering springs and the unbalanced ride height.

This also killed all my bushings. Fortunately, I managed to source some Koni FSD's with springs. These retain the stock height though...




My old gear knob was starting to get icky to hold. The rubber on top was turning yellow and sticky. So, replaced it with the JCW one. It's carbon fiber with alcantara. Much, much better.



While we're at it, I also changed the hand brake grip and added some sport pedals too...




Many have been dissing the beer can tail pipes lately. They all say I need an after market exhaust or at least get the exhaust tips changed. Problem is, they cost a lot! I didn't want to spend a fortune on them so I opted for the "One-Ball" mod and some local exhaust tips...

If you're wondering what a "One-Ball" mod is, basically Mini Cooper S has two muffler balls that work in series. The modification is to cut off the first ball, the resonator and just go direct to the muffler. It makes it louder, saves weight and increases power ever so slightly. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean...



Bang for buck mod. It slightly raises the exhaust note but it's not so intrusive like an aftermarket exhaust. It's barely noticeable.



Next was to ditch my old "Beer Can" exhaust tips...



With some nicer ones!



Got up a wee bit too early this morning. The roads were clear so I decided to do an ECU reset now that it has a slightly less restrictive exhaust. Took "Kermit" and opened up the revs after that. Quite happy with the mod. ^_^
Will be heading to Motorsport Playground later to get some decals done. I have to sort out the bushings soon too... Till then!

0 comments ¨¨¨¨¨:

Blog Archive