Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Our wannabe Japanese folks, the 'Chi'panese

This is something I still fail to understand, how a person of full Chinese descent, introducing themselves with a Japanese name or even worse, claiming they have ancestors that were Japanese. I just don't know what to think of these people. I cannot stand their hypocrisy and their pathetic attempts to become Japanese. Are you so ashamed of your own culture? What makes the Japanese more superior than your own? I cannot help shaking my head in disgust. It would almost be funny if it weren't so completely pathetic.





There is a a difference between those who are just really obsessed with the culture, and those who think being Japanese automatically makes you cool and elevates your social status. I'm sure you have met or encountered these people, male and female alike. All these Takumi, Takeshi, Yuki, Yuko, Yumi crap.

Introducing themselves as 'Nihonjin' is one thing, there are the poses they do when they take photographs too. The classic 'kawai' looks we all have seen. It's as if there was a text book or bible they read. These are just to name a few...

The peace signs to the eye.






Pouty lips.






The Maneki-Neko (Fortune Cat) look.







The 'blowfish'.





"Helloo! If you're chinese, then be one! Aren't you proud of your own heritage?!"

I get asked if I'm of Japanese ancestry occasionally but I always reply I am of chinese descendant, PROUDLY.

Anyway, there were many encounters with these kind of people but this was the first one that came to mind...

I was having supper at the McDonald's in Bandar Utama one night.

Friend : Introduce you to a friend of mine who is on his way. He's coming with his girlfriend. His name is Yuji.
Me : Yuji? Hmm, okay. Is he Japanese?
Friend : Apparently he has some blood, but I don't know. *hint of doubt*
Me : Hmm...

So, after a while, Yuji (actually Eugene) arrives and introduces himself and when it came to my turn...

Me : Hello. So you're part Japanese huh?
Yuji : Yeap.
Me : Sugoi! Nihonjin desuka? Hajimemashite, dozo yoroshiku ne.
Yuji : *stares blankly at me* (0_0)'
Me : *waits for him to respond*
Yuji : Err, but I don't speak any Japanese.. *walks away with an embarrassed look*

Now, Hajimemashite basically means "How do you do?" and dozo yoroshiku means "Nice to meet you".

I later found out from another friend that he has no Japanese ancestry at all and that his name was actually Eugene.

Fast Forward...

Recently, I was introduced to a person while clubbing who goes by Yuki. I was already intoxicated with alcohol, and being my mischievous, cheeky and sarcastic self, I proceeded to ask her the same question I asked Euji,

Me : Ahh! Nihonjin desuka? Hajimemashite, dozo yoroshiku ne.
Yuki : Err, I'm not Japanese. I don't speak it.
Me : Oh?! But you have a Japanese name no? Yuki isn't it?
Yuki : Err, hehehe...
Me : *Walks away...*

Weeks later, David brought her along again for one of our clubbing nights...

Yuki : Eh, you forgotten me already arr. We've met before..
Me : No, no. Yes, we've met several times. David's friend right? *struggles painfully to recall but completely no clue who she was!*
Yuki : *gives me the 'not amused' look*
Me : Yes, yes. I've met you with your friend the other time. What's her name? *hoping that will give me some hint that might jolt my memory*
Yuki : I've got so many friends. Which one? *pouty lips*
Me : Hang on. *scurries away to David*

Me : Eh David. What's her name again? *points to Yuki*
David : Yuki. Why?
Me : Was she the one who you brought over the other day with another friend to visit Zinc?
David : No, no. Those two were from Hong Kong/China. Yuki is local.
Me : Whoops. *red face*

Yuki walks by...
Yuki : You don't really remember me leh. I can remember you clearly as you were the idiot one who spoke to me in Japanese right?
Me : *embarrassed* You're right.
Yuki : Hajimemashite. *muted by the music in the club*
Me : I'm sorry?
Yuki : Nevermind.
Me : Oh *slaps forehead*, Hajimemashite, dozo yoroshiku ne.
Yuki : Doitashimashite.
Me : *puzzled look* Err, okay. *walks off*

We all know Hajimemashite dozo yoroshiku means "How do you do. Nice to meet you."
Doitashimashite means "you're welcome", which is why I was completely puzzled when she responded to "nice to meet you" with a "you're welcome". A 'What the Fuck?!' moment. *laughs*


Ah well... bear with my rants. I'm feeling pissy today. Must be that time of the month. *laughs*

38 comments ¨¨¨¨¨:

Da Devil said...

wakaka..u r getting cranky ady...getting old?lolz

i wonder where u get so much pics,muehehe

Anonymous said...

Epic Win!

FireWire said...

Leo, forgive those wannabes, be it their name or their ride but they certainly are good source of entertainment LOL

Anyway, I guess Japanese name are just how English are used nowadays, it's not exclusively used by Japanese anymore ;)

WoayChee said...

cold down, my friend...

Leonard Foong said...

Da Devil,
Must be getting old. *laughs*
Pictures can be found a dime a dozen from the wold wide web.

FireWire,
They most certainly are. *laughs*

The difference is, some people have English names because of religion. Those are Christian names more often than not. If they don't worship the Japanese, why not use names like Muthu or Chandra? *laughs*

WoayChee,
Just being pissy ler. No worries. (^_^)

Victor Eian said...

Even the comment is funnier than your post lah Leo..

Btw, thanks for the "longkang" picture ye... Don't mind i share this post to my facebook?? I'm enough with those Chi-penis..

IyouweBlog.com said...

hahaha...rofl... but those pic are awesome....byk longkang

nanged u. nang this and Stop using Internet Explorer now!!!

Anonymous said...

Entertaining post!

http://innit.nuffnang.com/view.php?id=170980

kRaZy said...

LoL! I like this haha..btw, the 1st gal in ur "Maneki-Neko" look is my friend. Did you just take her pic randomly?

Leonard Foong said...

kRaZy,
*laughs* Nope, all the pictures were pulled off the internet from a forum. (^_^)

Unknown said...

'You're welcome'

this one was EPIC!

kRaZy said...

Oic ^^ Btw, left u comment at ur previous post about common social ethics too lol. Your blog is quite interesting =D

Weird Dan said...

Not bad.. I had a laugh reading those who called themselves Japanese or Chipanese wannabes but don't really have the little effort to try to pull it off.

At least wanna try also learn some Japanese. Takeshi. LOLs

Dawn said...

ugh. wannabes. guys included. MALU!
weiii the pic with the sony time/date stamp on it is c'est horrible!! feel like strapping a collar on her and asking her to play fetch!
*shudders in disgust*

Leonard Foong said...

kRaZy,
Thank you for the support! Hope your friend doesn't get offended. Pictures are for reference only. Trying to make a point. (^_^) Do drop by more often.

Weird Dan,
Cheers. (^_^)

Dawn,
*laughs and falls off chair*

kumfye said...

fml!!! where you ge those pic...they were steaming hot!!!

www.thefye.com

Ferocious.Tisha said...

This is really funny! Lol.
But I always thought these kinds of people were called lalas. Thanks for the entertainment man. Haha.

gwerk said...

haHahahahH Leonard, this is hilarious.
I didnt know you felt so strongly about misplaced identity.
I guess what I can inflect as an attempt to quell the pissy mood is that we are considered privileged that we have a strong/relatively good appreciation of our heritage, no matter how good or bad it is. Some people may not be that blessed.
Notice as well that a significant proportion of this chipenese people noticeably < 30 years so maybe realisation and recognition dawns with age. :P Or perhaps not.

Chilekslah yeah Leonard. Makan one GTR pill.

Way Han said...

Well, lets not forget ppl with the name of SKY, Rainbow and etc. LOL...

Little M.E said...

Err...In malaysia we got special one.

Jawanese : Deraman
Japanese : Doremon

This is the one that we cannot blame one.. :p

Anonymous said...

LEO! YOU KILLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHA! i would call this.. FAMAZING.. make sure you dont get yourself an AYUMI one day.. WAHHAHAHAHAHA..

WoayChee said...

i m seriously want to laugh when i m look at the 'neko' pose by the girls!

Leonard Foong said...

*laughs* Glad everyone enjoyed the post. (^_^)

hamzah said...

You forgot to add a picture of your own cousin, Natalie Lynn, from your previous post, (http://theclippingpoint.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-with-cousins-blog.html) doing that "pouty lips" thing which u dont like.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Vd5pssNts5Y/S1VpiqaNoHI/AAAAAAAAAvE/jd6wdMN0sFc/s1600-h/Picture+143.jpg

hamzah said...

And this is one more pic of your cousin, i found ,doing the "The Maneki-Neko (Fortune Cat)" look.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Vd5pssNts5Y/S1VlZbITTvI/AAAAAAAAArc/9kEmNtDw7Lo/s1600-h/Picture+016.jpg

Victor Eian said...

Lol.. Hamzah, did u just search over the blog for those picture and to just post it @ here?? hahaha...

Leonard Foong said...

hamzah,
Thanks for bringing it up. I've never actually gone through her blog. I don't go stalking her blog, neither do I ogle at her. Unfortunately, she does fall in to the photograph taking category. Consolation is that she doesn't go around telling people she's Japanese. Which is the point of the whole topic in the first place. I guess those who actually read instead of darting to the pictures first would get that. Hmm, I tend to forget how 'simple' some folks are. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. So sorry everyone. =)

kev said...

Leo, I couldn't agree more with your posting. Personally, be proud of your own heritage, else your just a let down to your own ancestors. I strongly believe that, our Chinese ancestral roots are far more superior than the others. No point going around claiming yourself as not what you are.

Personally, I would love to meet people of diverse cultures, not fakers pretending to be what's not. Rather looking than a stupid low life bitch with nothing smart to think about, I think she'd better what she did was pure idiocracy.

Anyways, you are right about religion and stuffs. I'm named Kevin as my mother is Christian. I did not practice Christianity as my grandmother was clearly buddhist and did a checkmate step on making me a stepchild of the Goddess Kuan Yin. I've got no regrets being Buddhist. While I still retain my English name, its just easy for the Caucasians to refer me in school. Also, Aussies love shorterning everything, hence I'm just known as Kev.

hamzah said...

Yup, i agree. One should actually read instead of darting to the pictures first,and its a good thing that you dont go stalking her blog and ogle at her pictures. Usually some "desperate" men who try to get hot girls but cant because of some specific reasons relating to them will resort to those measures. (if you know what i mean) hehe.

And i also thought the point of this whole topic was a person acting/being like a Japanese when they are actually not, especially the photographs section which u mentioned "
Introducing themselves as 'Nihonjin' is one thing, there are the poses they do when they take photographs too. The classic 'kawai' looks we all have seen. .

So, doesnt it relate to the point that we are discussing?

Im confused with the statement you made earlier, please, enlighten me :)

Leonard Foong said...

kev,
Cheers. (^_^)

hamzah,
"It's a good thing that you dont go stalking her blog and ogle at her pictures.Usually some "desperate" men who try to get hot girls but cant because of some specific reasons relating to them will resort to those measures. (if you know what i mean) hehe. "?
Dude, she's my cousin, heaven forbid. It'll be incest. You're into that kind of shit, are you? (^_^)

Yes, it does relate to the point we are discussing but like I said, it's not the reason I brought up the topic. My stories of my personal experiences still root back to people introducing themselves with a Japanese name or even worse, claiming they have ancestors that were Japanese. It's even the highlight of the first few comments here. I brought up the picture posing and added pictures for enhanced comic relief.
Also I know this is sad but true, that many people are too 'simple', hence when they see a whole bunch of text, they automatically shut off as it looks too complicated for their simpleton minds to comprehend. Which is why I made the remark of people just darting to the pictures, paying little attention to what has been written and it seems to me my point has been proven. (^_^)

zahid said...

LOL. i tot only malay people got this fever of using fake name. i too got fake name. mine is zahid kasim. but i usually use zahid hutchinson cause i just falled in love with the 'hutchinson' character in one of the short story i learnt while i'm in college. but i still retain my first name, ZAHID.

unlike other malay celebrities out there who use fake name that does not ressemble their ori name AT ALL, i guess, it's just the same of what you're trying to say in this post. to get clearer view of what i'm crapping about,

read this.
http://ohartis.com/2010/01/nama-sebenar-artis-malaysia/

i was like, come on man, be proud of your name which i'm sure each of the name brings a nice meaning ryte be it in chinese, or malay.

no comment on the photo stuffs. da boring da tengok pose same je XD

after all, that's just my personal point of view.

Leonard Foong said...

zahid,
Excellent point. Many celebrities use stage names to appeal to the masses. All marketing ploys to help them sell themselves better. That is understandable. It's a business. Unlike the general folks who give themselves Japanese names or claim they have ancestors that were Japanese. Why not claim they're of Indonesian or Indian ancestry? Call themselves Sujati, Chandrakala, Budi, Muthu or Samy? *laughs*

zahid said...

i guess it's pretty much on how people streotype other minors. maybe they streotype japanese as a superior group who manage to outstand other country in many areas.

while most of them MAYBE streotype chinese as in CHINA who really pro in copying other's goods. i don't know. it's just my personal view.

glad to know that i'm not alone in disliking people with super fake name tags. hehehe

hamzah said...

Errrr, no, im not into that kind of "shit" or whatever u call it.

I have a gf and i dont do that stuff neither do i go to clubs or meet up with whoevers friends friend just to get a one night stand to satisfy my desire :)

Relax laa, no need to use vulgarity, it only makes one look weaker.

Its just a simple innocent debate we are having here :)

And i have to agree about you with that "many people are too 'simple', hence when they see a whole bunch of text, they automatically shut off as it looks too complicated for their simpleton minds to comprehend"

Sometimes i wonder where these type of people get educated and how they graduate. Nowadays, money talks rite. Rich parents, zero IQ children. Ive met so many people like that.

And yes, you have just said that what i was saying does relate to the topic we are discussing.

All i did was put up some picture for further references :)

I wasnt stalking, i was doing some "research"

But as i said, its just an innocent debate that we are having here :)

Theres no need to act/say things which are disgusting or offensive :)

Good luck encountering these type of people! :)

Leonard Foong said...

hamzah,
Thank god. For a moment there I thought...

You have a girlfriend?! Well good for you! You're the champ. Numero Uno! Unlike me, no Mrs. by my side and I party hard and indulge myself during the weekends, which I feel is much deserved after a long week of work.

I am relaxed. As cool as a cucumber. Ooh, someone's getting sensitive. Dude, I wasn't cussing at you. The 'shit' I was talking about is a slang. For example, "Shoot the shit..." is a slang for talking cock and catching up, which I use all the time in my blog posts. So the 'shit' I was talking about can be replaced with 'stuff'. Comprende?

Yes, I agree with you. Cussing and swearing at a person as well as personal attacks when having a 'debate' is a form of weakness and the person who does so automatically loses the dispute. But like I said, I wasn't using profanities at you. You simply misunderstood what I was saying. (^_^)

Kudos for agreeing with me that many people are simply put off from reading text and prefer jumping to pictures.

On the contrary, I disagree with you on the 'Rich parents, zero IQ children' bit. Most of the people I have met who have successful parents are properly educated abroad, speak well and think with intellect. I don't know which crowd you have been meeting, but that's certainly not the company I surround myself with. There is a saying, "The company of friends you keep, make the person you are..."

No one is accusing you of stalking. I was merely pointing out I am not one myself. There's no need to feel like you got caught, unless you're feeling guilty. (^_^)

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of "research" are you doing?

Yes, it's all "innocent" banter here. Flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, grass is green. Everything is fine and dandy.

Oh no, no. Of course there isn't the need for anything crude or vulgar. (^_^)

Good luck encountering these type of people? Now why would I need luck? They're a dime a dozen here in KL. *laughs*

hamzah said...

Haha okay :)

Leonard Foong said...

hamzah,
Cheers. (^_^)

domokunc said...

hey... chinese/japanese, the girls u posted are cute HE HE~!.. so how would a chinese girl pose in front of the camera?? : D

anyways.... boys got time of the month one meh~?~?~?~

Blog Archive