Sunday, December 27, 2009

Pinched Pimped BlackBerry Bold 9000

Aaron got my dad the Bold 9700 from the UK so I pinched my dad's old Bold 9000 since he wasn't using it anymore. Having being used for quite some time now, it was quite worn out. So, Aaron took it to Low Yat to get it refreshed and repaired. It came out looking pretty nice.




So, I popped by Digital Mall to get a Digi Smart Plan for BlackBerry as it only costs RM58 a month for unlimited use and you pay as you go for calls and sms.

Will use it and see if I like it. If I do like it, perhaps I will get myself a Bold 9700...

7 comments ¨¨¨¨¨:

Eugene said...

Does the unlimited use include internet surfing? If it does, it's a bloody good deal!

AZT said...

sweet CF trim there!

ikus said...

Hi leo, I'm in dilemma now,

iphone or blackberry? Can you give some review about it?

Eugene said...

ikus, I had the exact dilemma a week ago.

iPhone is extremely entertaining. That is all I can say. I love their sms function too.

Blackberry is a phone for elegance, class, sophistication. Functions wise, it's only the push-mail and BBM that is unique.

Both phones are of top quality in my opinion. If you want a phone that has high entertainment value, go for the 3GS. If you prefer the corporate image, and have many friends using BBM, then perhaps you can consider the BB. Also, it feels like a BB can "tahan" a fall much more than an iPhone, since the screen is made of glass.

Another important thing you have to consider is that if you can an iPhone, all you need is just the data plan. Whereas for BB, you need to get the Blackberry Internet Services, otherwise you can't make full use of the BB functions.

Cheers,
Eugene

ikus said...

Hi Eugene,

Whoah nice review there.

Before this many of my friends told me that iphone no good one, better get the BB because of the elegance design,

But after reading your review I think I will go for the 3GS. Reasons? The screen of the iphone is larger than BB, the iphone is extremely entertaining, and no need to get the Blackberry Internet Services.

BTW, what about Nokia E-Series. Need to get the Blackberry Internet Services or not? Coz, I heard that Nokia E-Series also have blackberry? Is it true?

Leonard Foong said...

Eugene,
The unlimited use is for the all the data I think. So I just have to pay for the calls and sms I make. Which is pretty cheap considering I only use it for the BlackBerry services.

AZT,
Fake one la. *laughs* Got it at Low Yat Plaza. =P

ikus,
Eugene is right. iPhone is more multimedia. So if you like playing games, surfing the web...etc..etc, then the iPhone is for you. If you do a lot of emails, have many friends who have BlackBerry chat, then you'd go for a BlackBerry.

Eugene said...

ikus,

Not sure if this works the same way back home in Malaysia as I am based in Singapore. Here's my understanding:

BIS is a 3rd party service provided by Blackberry, where they maintain their own systems, servers etc. Hence I believe you will still have to subscribe to BIS.

Basically by subscribing to BIS, you get to create a "Blackberry" account with them, hence giving you access to their services like BBM, push-mail, etc.

However, here's something interesting on Blackberry. What I have been told, is that you can subscribe to BIS and then unsubscribe, still make use of the BIS and you are just charged by the data transfer. This came from a customer service rep in Singtel and also from a mobile phone dealer I asked.

Been looking into this too as I had the same dilemma and decided on getting a Bold 9700. Just trying to sort out the cheapest ways to make full use of it :)

Anyone else reading this please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

Eug

Blog Archive