Wednesday, August 5, 2009

HTC Magic

I was in Mid Valley the other day checking on the Che Che New York boutique and there was a concourse promotion at the Centre Court, showcasing the HTC. What caught my eye was one of them was running the Android OS (Operating System), originally developed by Google and later the Open Handset Alliance.

I played around with it for a while and was really intrigued by it. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stick around to really check it out.

SO...

Succumbing to temptation, I got myself the HTC Magic, the mobile device powered by Android.



According to the sales person, the only color it is available in Malaysia, is in black...

Now we all know I love white, don't we... *grin*
I just couldn't help my self and decided to get a white housing, take it apart and put it together myself...







I've been using this for a couple of days now. I must say, it's a lot smoother than the Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5 on my N97. Physically, the device feels nice, oddly light but comfortable.

Yes! It's also white! *laughs*




Why do I need so many phones! I don't. I'm just a sucker for gadgets and gizmos.

Anyway, the N97 isn't a bad device at all. I am just very uncomfortable with the inconsistency of the it's Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5 OS. Some screens require a double tap, some just single... the list goes on. It's ARM 11 434 MHz processor and 128 MB RAM does make is pretty slow and sluggish quite often. The N97 does pack quite a punch in the memory department with 32GB internal memory. 32GB! So much memory to store crap. Has a pleasant 5mp camera with LED flash to take some decent pictures. The 3.5mm audio jack does come in handy too for plugging in your own headsets. The N97 is not a small phone. It weighs quite a bit as well and you'll definitely feel that bulge from your pocket.

The HTC Magic on the other hand, has a slightly more powerful Qualcomm MSM7200A, 528 MHz processor but I still think it could do with more hardware juice. It has 288 MB RAM and a 3.2mp camera but no flash. No 3.5mm jack so you have to make due with the headset the device came with. In terms of memory, it only has 512 MB of ROM onboard, which is so bloody small! How will I install the many apps available from Android Market?! It came with a 8 GB memory card, but this is mainly used for data storage. So far, I think the Android OS is pretty fun to use, having played with it for the last couple of days. My other gripe besides the onboard memory is Android does not support business cards and beaming files or information from one device to another through bluetooth. That really sucks.

Also, the HTC Magic sold in Malaysia does not come with the applications that come with Magic-GMS (google mobile services) versions. I think the devices sold in Malaysia are the Magic - OHD (open handset distribution) versions, which are mostly available in the South East Asian market. I was utterly disappointed when I discovered this. One of the reasons I picked up this device, was the Android Market, which houses plenty of free apps. So, I did some digging online and managed to flash it onto the device, along with Google maps, Gmail and Google Talk.



Cool huh.

12 comments ¨¨¨¨¨:

jocelyncoco said...

*-*..T-T...

my htc's screen broke!!!!!

duno who's butt sit on it T_______T..

now wan change the screen also very costy...=.(

Viper2040 said...

Hi leo,
If compare with iphone, which one better around HTC, N97 and iphone?
Thinking of changing phone but dont know what to get......

Leonard Foong said...

c0co,
I'm sorry to hear that hun. Would it be cheaper to get a new one instead of repairing it? Which HTC are you using?

Viper2040,
Different people have different needs and different tolerances so it's really hard to say which is better. Overall I think the Iphone 3GS would still be the best all rounder with enough features, speed, memory, applications and an OS you won't get frustrated over. HTC is coming in close but they need to work on their hardware. The Android OS looks to be coming along pretty well but there are still plenty of room for improvements. Then Nokia is actually not too bad but the Symbian OS is becoming very inconsistent making the user experience terrible.

I think it's best you go and try all the phones. Play around with them for a while before making a decision. =)

jocelyncoco said...

mine is tytan ii ..i asked d they said need 400+ with the ucle my dad familiar with..if not need 600+@@' ..
is like..feel so sad to spend 400+ for just a screen T_T~*

:: Nicole.F :: said...

a new phone.... again?

as far as i know, it was the iphone.. then the E71.. then the N97 and now a HTC =.=

u have changed a few phones and i'm still stuck using the E71!

not fair :p

Leonard Foong said...

:: Nicole ::,
You're forgetting the Sony Ericsson K750i then W800i, Samsung SGH-i600, HTC Touch HD, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic.... *laughs*

:: Nicole.F :: said...

*faint*

Anani said...

Hey Leo...
I was wondering how do u flash ur htc magic..?
I got this htc magic fon recently,n realized tat the android market is not included as it's a OHD version of htc....
I would really appreciate it if u could guide me on how to flash this frustrating fon...
Thx....
;-)

Leonard Foong said...

Anani,
Sent you an email. =)

Gazorninplat said...

Hi! I just got a HTC Magic too and am thinking about getting the white housing off eBay. Can you share the instructions you used to replace the housing? I have the HTC service manual and it looks a bit complicated. Thanks!!!

Jason

Leonard Foong said...

Gazorninplat,
I really don't know what to tell you as I just followed the instruction from the service manual too... =) It's actually pretty easy.

Unknown said...

Hey, few questions.

As far as the white housing is concerned, does it feel the same as the original black housing? Anything feel strange or flimsy?

Can you link me to where you purchased the white housing from?

Thanks!

Blog Archive