Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pixar's Tokyo Mater and Disney's Bolt

I went to watch Disney's animated film, Bolt today. I wasn't too keen actually but one reason pushed me to watch it today...



I wanted to catch the premier of Tokyo Mater, a Pixar short story directed by the legend in the industry, John Lasseter. Fantastic stuff. His work never ceases to amaze me! If you're wondering who Mater is, Mater the tow truck is a character from Pixar's animation, Cars.



Mater lands in Tokyo and ends up drifting! Looks like it was inspired by Tokyo Drift.

A couple of clips...




As for Bolt...



I must say, it's a huge improvement from their past work. Having said that, it's probably due to John Lasseter overseeing all of Disney's animated productions now that he has been appointed the chief creative officer for WDA (Walt Disney Animation), meaning effectively, Pixar is helping Disney do decent work.



Bolt is a good but not great film. Disney is heading in the right direction. I loved the opening scene of the puppy in the store. The detail in the art and animation of the portrayal of a puppy was marvelous. Hint of Pixar stuff in there. I'm glad Disney is getting their act together and I hope to see them produce more excellent work from them in future. I mean, they are after all, Disney, once the top innovators in animation.

1 comments ¨¨¨¨¨:

3R1C said...

i watched Bolt with my gal n 11 years old sis. guess wat? me n my gal fell asleep on the 1st hour. hahaa. one father beside us fell asleep too n he snoored!

Blog Archive